Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Product Rant: Ocean Salt

Alright, time for my first product rant. And it's sad to say that it is a product from my beloved Lush. I had run out of my BB Seaweed mask and was in need of another (or any moisturizing mask), and because the Lush fresh masks are my favorite, and by far the cheapest, I decided to take yet another trip into my favorite store. As I was picking out a mask, a sales associate approached me, as always, and offered to do a sit down discussion/ trial about all the products he suggested for my skin type. I thought, hey why not! Well, I ended up walking out of Lush with a $5 mask, and SIX free samples. Uh, yes please.

The samples I got were...

Herbalism
 This cleanser is similar to Angels on Bare Skin but, its for oily and problem skin. I get a little oily in my T-zone and break out occasionally, but my skin dries out pretty easily. I haven't tried this yet for a couple of reasons. I don't like how it looks. I don't like how it smells. I like my AOBS!

Ocean Salt
This product will be what I am ranting about...

Grease Lightning
 I actually really like this spot treatment. It calms skin as it attacks bacteria and it doesn't dry out my skin. Also, it's cheaper than my current spot treatment. Once I am out of that, this is where I will go..

Skin Sangri La
This is the moisturizer he suggested for me to use at night. It's a pretty heavy moisturizer. BUT I am a little scared of Lush moisturizers because the last one (Imperialis) broke me out. Plus all their moisturizers, except Celestial are more expensive than the moisturizer I use now.

Vanishing Cream
This is the day time, lighter moisturizer. But I have the same fear and hesitancy to use it that I have towards all Lush moisturizers.

Eau Roma Toner
This is basically preserved water with some vitamins packed in there. Its definitely nice, but I frankly don't understand the point of it.

Anyways! To get to the ranting... Ocean salt is advertised as a facial cleanser/ scrub. I should have known better than to try it. I had just read all over the internet how awesome it is at clearing skin. It's just awful for multiple reasons. Number one, my skin is sensitive and even when the sales associate tested it on my arm, it made my arm red. But never the less, I tried it on my face later and it hurt. There is a ton of coarse sea salt in the cleanser that I'm almost positive left microscopic scrapes all over my face. (Girls, most exfloliaters that contain crystal, sugar, or salt like scrubbies will leave microscopic scrapes on your face that are begging for bacteria to land in and cause infections in the form of breakouts. Try to stick to gentle exfloliants, and alpha beta peels to remove dry skin.) Yet, still knowing this, I still used it. Also, this product has citrus juices galore, which is great for a light acid peel, but after scraping your face with salt? Have you ever wanted to squeeze lime juice on a cut? Ouch. Along those same lines, it has Vodka in it. Alcohol? On microscopic cuts? At least it's trying to kill bacteria, but OUCH! And one last thing, its SALT. Have you ever gotten sweaty and broken out later because you didn't wash the salt off your face? 

"It's like taking your face on a trip to the seaside for an invigorating splash in the water, then cleansing and refreshing it with lemon, grapefruit and lime juices." That really doesn't sound pleasant. They claim that it has avocado and coconut oils in it to moisturize and calm your skin. If that's true, than it totally didn't work for me. It hurt to scrub, it hurt when I took it off, it stung my face, it dried it out. I had to slather on Oatifix (my new super moisturizing mask) and apply a couple layers of moisturizer just to somewhat calm my newly raw skin. It made me have a couple of breakouts on my chin, and it left my skin somewhat dry and flaky. 

Maybe this would work as a body scrub?

Be-You-Tiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment